In this Discover It Card review I’ll go over all the spankin’ new features for 2014 that makes this one of the best cash back cards around, and one of the best Discover cards ever.
Once upon a time there were so many options to choose from – like the Discover Escape, Discover Miles, Discover More, and Discover Open Road cards. Thankfully, the decision was made to put all the popular goodies into one action packed card and name this bad boy the Discover It.
Okay, so Discover actually did do a pretty good job rolling all the best features into one “super” card.
They have their competitive 5% cash back on quarterly rotating categories, plus you’ll definitely still get 1% cash back on all other purchases outside of the categories.
It’s got one of the best introductory 0% APR offers, giving you 0% on BOTH balance transfers and purchases for 14 months.
AND, they also have one of the best online shopping malls called ShopDiscover where they partner with popular retailers to offer up to 20% cash back. It practically doubles as a credit card & a discount card.
Check out what one of our readers thinks of the card:
I’ll review all the features of this Discover credit card below.
Discover It Features Review:
5% Cash Back!
One of the very best features I like about my Discover It card is the 5% cash back on purchases in their quarterly revolving categories. The program is free, but don’t get lazy and forget to activate the offer each quarter!
5% Cash Back Categories For 2014!
- January-March 2014: Sign up now to get 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in Restaurant and Movie purchases, now through March 2014.*
- April-June 2014: Sign up to get 5% Cashback Bonus at Home Improvement Stores, Furniture Stores and Bed Bath & Beyond® on up to $1,500 in purchases from April through June 2014.*
- July-September 2014: “Summer Break” *To be announced.
- October-December 2014: “Holiday Shopping” *To be announced.
There should be a few differences for 2014, but below were the ones for 2013:
- January-March 2013: Get 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at restaurants and for movies from January through March 2013.
- April-June 2013: Get 5% Cashback Bonus* on up to $1,500 in purchases at Home Improvement Stores from April through June 2013.
- July-September 2013: Get 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Gas Stations from July through September 2013.
- October-December 2013: Get 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases for Online Shopping from October through December 2013.* Shop for things like apparel, electronics, toys, gifts and more.
Cash Back On ALL Purchases
Aside from the jazzy 5% earning potential in the quarterly categories, you’ll still receive a smooth 1% cash back with no maximum limit on ALL your other purchases.
The great thing about the Discover It Card redemption policy is that there are several options for redeeming your cash back, from statement credits to purchasing a variety of merchandise online.
You can even use your cash back earnings to pay for things straight through Amazon.com. This is a very nice feature – you just link your Discover card to your Amazon account and it automatically updates with your earned cash back balance.
For More Detailed Info On How Cash Back Redemption Works, Read My Explanation Here
Up To 20% Cash Back Shopping Online!
Okay, I’m a guy who likes doing my shopping online because its so much easier to do your research and avoid the crowds in stores. Plus, there are so many ways to save money shopping online!
If you have a Discover card, you can log into your account and access the ShopDiscover shopping portal, where you can earn anywhere from 5 to 20% cash back just for shopping online like you normally would.
Here’s a list of the ShopDiscover retailers so you can see for yourself where you can splurge.
I use to think I could never save any money on Under Amour purchases because they never seem to have many sales, but you’ll save a cool 10% through ShopDiscover year round. And last year it even went up to 15% along with many of retailers during the holiday season.
Some of my other favorite ShopDiscover stores are Banana Republic, Best Buy, and Nike, but there are over 200 other ones to look through.
New Feature: Cashback Bonus Extras
Similar to the extra cash back incentives of an American Express credit card, Discover card now has a section where they list all the additional cash back opportunities available via a variety of merchants. These savings can come in the form of printable coupons, mobile coupons, and automatic savings of statement credits and extra Cashback Bonus.
No Annual Fee On This One!
Luckily all the great features of the Discover It credit card are available to us with NO annual fee. This gives piece of mind for those who only use their Discover card as a secondary option.
0% APR Intro Offer
You get a groovy 0% APR on BOTH Purchases & Balance Transfers for 14 months! A lot of credit cards out there may only offer the 0% intro APR on EITHER purchases or balance transfers, so it’s nice that this card offers both.
Remember though, there is a 3% fee for your balance transfers. It’s definitely something to consider when you’re transferring over a high balance from another high interest card. But, you get a full 14 months to pay off that transferred balance interest free!
Plus with the 0% APR on purchases offer, you can make a big purchase guilt free because you’ll have over a year to pay it off without interest. How bout a new 84″ LED 3D TV!
No Foreign Transaction Fee!
No Foreign Transaction Fee! Why’s this important enough to bring up? I never really thought much about it either because I haven’t taken too many trips out of the country. Now that I’ve planned a few trips to Canada and Europe next year, I realized I need to look into this.
So here I go looking in my wallet, and my Priceline credit card has a 3% foreign transaction fee, my Blue Cash Preferred card has a 2.7% fee, and even my Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage airline card has a 3% fee. That’s the percentage per transaction I’ll get charged for using any of these cards internationally!
So yea, I’m taking my Discover card to Vancouver.
Other Neato Perks You May Like:
There is one other version of the Discover It Card that differs only in the following way:
- One other Discover card comes with a special 18 month introductory 0% APR on balance transfers, with the 0% APR on purchases reduced to a 6 month period. See this offer here.
There are also 2 versions of the Discover It For Students:
- The Discover it for Students card, for student applicants, offers an introductory 0% APR on purchases for 6 months. There is no introductory 0% APR special for balance transfers with this card. With all the other Discover it features intact, though, this is probably one of the best student cards in the market. See this offer here.
- The other student version lets you replace the 0% APR on purchases perk with a $20 cash bonus instead. See this offer here.
So, What’s The Verdict On This New Discover Card Review?
Everyone should consider getting a Discover card because it will help diversify your credit profile. Discover is a trusted name in the finance world, so it’ll help your credit for sure with responsible use. And since the Discover It Card is the only Discover card offered now, you have no other choice!
Check out these Discover card reviews from their website:
Fantastic card with great benefits!!! Highly recommend this card to anyone looking for an all around good card. LOVE the cashback reward program, nice incentive.
My experience with Discover card is amazing. I always feel so well helped when I call customer service. And paying my bill online is so easy and fast for me. It’s the number one card for me.
What a breath of fresh air to actually get a real person when you call customer service. I always thought Amex had the best card but I think the new Discover IT card has surpassed them all.